This week in 60 seconds…
- The ever growing importance of dark social has been amplified as WhatsApp releases more tools specifically designed for businesses
- Speaking of new tools, we’ve discussed augmented reality a lot recently so, as avid readers, Domino’s dev team have taken our advice and launched the first shoppable AR pizza
- We’ve also raised the issue of personalisation being the key to solid marketing over the last few weeks so it was great to see Reuters taking this on board by creating a free personalised news wire app
- From apps to microsites – a new platform was created this week, dedicated to highlighting the best uses of social over the last decade
- Finally, researchers in Australia have protected an entire city from Dengue Fever using bioengineered mosquitoes. Granted, this story bears no relevance to any of the above but it is amazing!
A final thought…
In the modern day, dark social is an incredibly effective method for spreading word of mouth awareness through peer-to-peer sharing. And, given that dark social is responsible for over 70% of all online referrals you should be taking WhatsApp’s new tools very seriously indeed.
Dark social accounts for anything being shared that can’t be tracked accurately. For example: native mobile apps, emails, instant messaging apps and secure browsers. These are all examples of dark social platforms. Currently, it is estimated that 84% of outbound content sharing happens through these channels. So you could say it’s a fairly big deal.